Filipinos are known for celebrating the holiday season with family and friends. It is that time of the year when invitations to parties and get-togethers are pouring left and right, and one can feel the festivities in the air.
However, with the ongoing pandemic and the government’s mandate cautioning people about large Christmas gatherings, it is best to be mindful of health and safety protocols to uphold everyone’s safety.
Factors to Consider
Below are some of the things to note for a safe Christmas celebration.
- Infection level of the community – If there is a high number of active and recorded cases in the area to be visited, the risk of transmission may increase. Consider relocating the party venue to a safer place.
- Risk of exposure during travel – How are people going to the gathering’s location? There is a risk of unknowingly picking up the virus in buses, taxis, and other modes of public transport.
- The family gathering venue – It is better to be in a well-ventilated area versus staying in a small, enclosed space indoors.
- The number of people attending – The more people present, the higher the risk of infecting one another, especially if the venue is a small space.
- Risk level and health of attendees – Everyone should declare who are the high-risk, immunocompromised, or previously infected persons in the family for transparency.
8 Safe Ways to Celebrate a Family Gathering This Holiday Season
To make sure that everyone stays healthy while spending time with loved ones and still doing their part in stopping the spread of COVID-19, here are tips in safely celebrating a holiday gathering.
Check the local regulations before attending the event
Do not leave the house if feeling unwell
Make sure that the number of attendees is limited, as stated in the government’s health guidelines
Hold events outdoors for that extra ventilation to reduce the risk of spreading the disease
Be mindful of necessary preventative measures
Manage family expectations and set ground rules
Keep an extra eye on children
Have an emergency plan ready
Staying Safe with Your Loved Ones Amid COVID-19
This is the first time many Filipinos will experience the holidays like this. And while it may dampen the spirits of some, it is best to remember that everyone is doing this for each other’s safety. Prevention is better than cure, and celebrating that all family members are healthy and well is reason enough to be merry this Christmas season. It can’t be stressed enough that staying home is the best and safest option.
In case of any COVID-19 related symptoms, do not hesitate to reach out to Makati Medical Center. Keep safe and healthy during the holidays!